Knowledge Base Fact Sheet
MPP & KnS Adjusting Bond Force Settings (IKB-009)
Bond Force Settings: Adjustment of the process bond force parameters for 1st and 2nd Bonds on Micro Point Pro (KnS) 4500 Series and 5000 iBond Series Manual Wire Bonders.
- During the bonding cycle, bond force is applied while ultrasonic energy is been applied to the wedge/capillary. The static bond force is a combination of the Static Bond force and also additional bond force applied from the Force coil.
- The Force coil is controlled via the 1st Bond and 2nd Bond potentiometer dials on the left hand side front panel:
- The Force coil is controlled via 1st and 2nd Bond Force adjustment on the touch screen panel:
To Set the Bond Force:
- Ensure the Bonder is in Reset Position; confirm this by ensuring the ‘1st Bond LED’ is illuminated (4500 series) or ‘Reset Position’ is displayed in the status window (iBond series).
- The ‘Set Up/Reset’ switch located on the right hand side panel (4500 series) or ‘Setup’ slider within the iBond5000 menu section (iBond series) are showing SETUP.
- With the bonder in SETUP the machine will drive the Force Coil constantly at both 1st and 2nd bond forces depending on the machine cycle position.
- Set both 1st and 2nd Search adjustment to zero.
- Press and hold the ‘Semi/Auto Chessman button’. The bond head will move into the ‘1st Search height’.
- Using a suitably scaled gram gauge lift the bond head under the wedge/capillary. As the bond head starts to rise, read the value on the gram gauge.
- This measured value is the bond force for the 1st Bond; adjust the ‘1st Bond Force adjustment’ until a desired force is measured on the gram gauge.
- Release the ‘Semi/Auto Chessman button’, the bond head will move to the ‘Loop Height’.
- Press and hold the ‘Semi/Auto Chessman button’. The bond head will move into the ‘2st Search height’. Again lift thebond head with the gram gauge under the wedge/capillary until the bond head starts to rise.
- This measured value is the bond force for the 2nd Bond; adjust the ‘2nd Bond Force adjustment’ until a desired force is measured on the gram gauge.
- Release the ‘Semi/Auto Chessman button’, the bond head will move to the ‘Reset Height’.
- Return the ‘Set Up/Reset’ switch to the mid position.
For further information on our range of MPP Manual Wire Bonders, please click HERE.
02 June 2017
IKB009 Rev. 3